Monday, June 22, 2009

Do I know me?

For years, there was no line between what I did and who I was. I was a museum person. It never occurred to me that I would ever be anything else. I used to say that it either said something wonderful about how I felt about my career, or something really sad about my social life, but the annual museum conferences were among my favorite parties.

Three years ago, I took a job as Director of Development for a community and economic development agency. My husband and I had decided to return to Philadelphia and this was the best choice at the time. It turned out to be a very good choice indeed. My work benefits a neighborhood I've known and loved for years. I've always liked knowing the inside story, and I understand how the city works infinitely better than I ever have. Thinking new thoughts builds brain cells. And economic freefall has not been kind to museums.

My identity is in transition. At first, it was hard to introduce myself as Director of Development for University City District without providing a bit of the back story. Now, it's easier. Everyone doesn't need to know who I used to be. This is who I am now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think! Any comments?