Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Do I know you?

When you start out, no one notices when you go to an event. Then, you develop enough of an identity that people notice if you're there. "I saw you at that (reception, opening, performance, business card exchange) last night." People know your name when you introduce yourself even if they haven't met you before.

Then, people notice when you're NOT there. "We missed you at the (reception, opening, performance, business card exchange) last night." At that point, your life is no longer your own.
Then, something changes. Perhaps you change careers. Perhaps you move to a new community. After years of being recognized when you walk into a room, you're back at the beginning. No one notices you. No one knows your name.

This is somewhat liberating. You can decide whether or not to go to the event, whatever it is. You can build a new identity. You have to.

I walked away from a career (career # 5) in which I had invested 25 years, a career in which I was someone. Speaker at national conferences, author of articles, board member of the national professional organization. A couple of years later, I was having lunch with someone from the next phase of my life. Career # 6. I told him that it was new and different for me to walk into a room and have no one know who I am. That is was probably good for me spiritually to be no one when I was used to being somebody. He said, "Don't sell yourself short. Anyone who meets you can see that you are someone."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think! Any comments?